Fall Maintenance for Color on the Creek
It has been a great season for the Water Garden but the final golden rays of fall are fading ……it is time to put it to bed.
We will perform fall maintenance on the Color On The Creek water-garden section between Court Street and Carroll Street on Saturday Nov 5th from 9 AM to Noon.
We will again remove surface vegetation to improve the appearance of the creek over the coming winter months but also to improve water quality long term. The improved water clarity we saw this summer is mostly attributable to lessening algal concentrations resulting from the cooler water and sunlight deprivation the shading plants produced but diminished nutrients available to the algae may have contributed as well. Removing the dying vegetation during the summer and each fall will prevent that vegetation from contributing to the algal food supply.
The City of Frederick will lower the water level in the creek several feet to expose the top of all our pots which will greatly facilitate harvesting of the plant material. With the lower water levels both hip and chest waders will suffice for in-creek workers “a.k.a. water rats.”
As we have over the past several years, we will also place temporary metal grids on of top all the lotus pots to protect the protein rich lotus tubers from marauding muskrats.
What to bring and how to dress.
- We will do our work rain, snow or shine so dress in layers for all possibilities.
- We have lots of long- sleeve waterproof gloves for all in-creek and land volunteers.
- We have many sets of waders, all of which provide great protection however some may not be entirely waterproof (cell phones should be left on shore)
- If you have brooms, rakes and cutting instruments (machetes, hand pruning saws and gas powered trimmers are most helpful) please bring them.
- If you have or know someone with a large float, Jon boat (sans motor) that would be great as well.
Thanks to the City of Frederick staff and all of you for your